- federation fed‧e‧ra‧tion [ˌfedəˈreɪʆn] noun [countable]1. ORGANIZATIONS a group of organizations, clubs, or people that have joined together to form a single group to represent their interests, and often used in the names of professional associations and trade union S:
• the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees
• the National Federation of Independent Businessˈlabor fedeˌration ORGANIZATIONSa large trade union organization to which many smaller local trade unions are connected:
• The 70,000-member National Federation of Workers' Unions is Honduras' most powerful labor federation.2. a group of states that have joined together to form a single group:
• Was the Soviet Union to be a federation or a looser arrangement of independent states?— federated adjective :
• Some Europeans want a federated nation state.
* * *federation UK US /ˌfedərˈeɪʃən/ noun POLITICS► [C] a group of organizations, regions, countries, etc. that have joined together to form a larger organization or government: a federation of states/companies/trade unions, etc. »
The United States is a federation of 50 individual states.► [U] the act of forming a federation: »
He's against European federation.the federation of states/companies/trade unions, etc. »
The federation of the six original Australian states took place in 1901.
Financial and business terms. 2012.
Look at other dictionaries:
fédération — [ federasjɔ̃ ] n. f. • fin XVIIIe; « alliance, union » XIVe; lat. fœderatio 1 ♦ Groupement, union de plusieurs États en un seul État fédéral. REM. Fédération a longtemps été employé comme syn. de confédération. Dr. internat. État fédéral… … Encyclopédie Universelle
Federation — Fédération Cette page d’homonymie répertorie les différents sujets et articles partageant un même nom … Wikipédia en Français
Federation II — is an online text based game also known as Federation 2 or Fed2, designed and programmed by Alan Lenton and developed by IBGames that centers on the intergalactic trade and economy in the distant future. The game was originally launched in 2003,… … Wikipedia
federation — I noun affiliation, alliance, amalgamation, association, centralization, coalition, combination, combine, concert, confederacy, confederation, cooperation, federal union, integration, league, merger, organized body, pool, syndicate, unification,… … Law dictionary
federation — federation, confederation, confederacy Federation and confederation are the more precise constitutional terms, a federation being a union of federal states and a confederation being a union of states in alliance. Confederacy is a looser term for… … Modern English usage
federation — 1721, union by agreement, from Fr. fédération, from L.L. foederationem (nom. foederatio), noun of action from L. foederare league together, from foedus covenant, league (gen. foederis); see FEDERAL (Cf. federal) … Etymology dictionary
federation — [fed΄ər ā′shən] n. [Fr fédération < ML federatio < L foederatus: see FEDERATE] 1. the act of uniting or of forming a union of states, groups, etc. by agreement of each member to subordinate its power to that of the central authority in… … English World dictionary
Federation — Fed er*a tion, n. [Cf. F. f[ e]d[ e]ration.] 1. The act of uniting in a league; confederation. [1913 Webster] 2. A league; a confederacy; a federal or confederated government. Burke. [1913 Webster] … The Collaborative International Dictionary of English
federation — confederacy, confederation, coalition, fusion, *alliance … New Dictionary of Synonyms
federation — [n] partnership, organization alliance, amalgamation, association, bunch, coalition, combination, confederacy, crew, crowd, entente, family, federacy, gang, league, mob, outfit, pool, ring, syndicate, syndication, tribe, union; concepts… … New thesaurus